Dear Riverside Families,
Riverside Academy is committed to the safety and health of our students and staff. With the emergence of new and yet unpredictable variants to Covid 19, Riverside Academy will be requiring that all students and staff wear masks beginning Monday, December 6, 2021, and until further notice. Please see guidance for masks and other precautions below.
Students can bring their own cloth face coverings, so long as they meet Center for Disease Control safety guidelines. If a student does not have access to or forgets their face covering, the school will provide one mask per day.
- Passive Screening – Parents will be required to screen students before leaving for school (check temperature to ensure temperatures below 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit, observe for symptoms outlined below) and to keep students at home if they have symptoms consistent with COVID-19 or if they have had close contact with a person diagnosed with COVID-19.
Symptoms consistent with COVID-19 include:
Fever above 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit or chills
Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
Muscle or body aches
New loss of taste or smell
Congestion or runny nose
Nausea or vomiting
- Students who develop symptoms of illness while at school will be separated from others right away and isolated which others do not enter or pass. If more than one student is in an isolation area physical distancing measures will be in place.
- Students will remain in isolation with continued supervision and care until picked up by an authorized adult.
- Every enrolled child must have at least three approved contacts on file who can pick up the child within one hour of receiving a call home.
- Schools will follow established guidelines for triaging students, recognizing not all symptoms are COVID-19 related.
- Parents will be advised of sick students and that students are not to return until they have met the criteria to discontinue home isolation.
Handwashing protocols will include:
- Providing regularly scheduled opportunities for students and staff to meet handwashing frequency guidance.
- Ensuring sufficient access to handwashing and sanitizer stations. Portable handwashing stations will be located throughout the facilities and near classrooms to minimize movement and congregations in bathrooms to the extent possible.
- Ensuring a fragrance-free hand sanitizer (with a minimum of 60 percent alcohol) is available and supervised at or near all workstations. Children under age nine will use hand sanitizer under adult supervision.
Communications will be in place if a school has a positive COVID-19 case. The school will address its role in documenting, reporting, tracking, and tracing infections in coordination with public health officials. The school will inform sick staff members and children not to return until they have met the health and safety criteria to discontinue home isolation. The school will inform those who have had close contact with a person diagnosed with COVID-19 to stay home and self-monitor for symptoms and to follow health and safety guidelines if symptoms develop. If a person does not have symptoms follow appropriate health and safety guidance for home isolation.
Access to campus for parents will be limited and based on the school’s evaluation as to whether and to what extent external visitors can safely utilize the facilities and campus resources. All individuals that use the facilities will be required to follow the school’s health and safety plans and Department of Public Health guidance.
If you have any questions, contact Riverside Academy at 513-921-7777, or the Cincinnati Health Department at 513-357-7462. Thank you for helping to keep people safe and to slow the spread of COVID-19 in our community and school. For an additional resource, you may call 1-833-4-ASK-ODH (1-833-427-5634) or visit coronavirus.ohio.gov.
Your mental health is just as important as your physical health. If you or a loved one are experiencing anxiety related to the coronavirus pandemic, help is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Call the COVID-19 CareLine at 1-800-720-9616.
Elizabeth A. Lucas